As the skin ages, a number of different changes occur. It thins and loses elasticity which in turn causes small lines and wrinkles. With repeated sun exposure, which is so common in Australia particularly, aged skin can also become blotchy and freckled.
Chemical peeling is a way to remove the damaged, superficial layers of skin which appear as the skin ages. It reveals a new layer of healthier skin, with improved elasticity. This results in a softer, and more even complexion, as well as encouraging the growth of new cells, pumping and tightening the skin along the way.
How do we choose the right peel for you?
There are many different types of peels ranging from superficial to very deep. The degree of damage your skin has will determine the type of peel our clinicians choose for you. As a general rule, the more damaged your skin is, the deeper the peel required to improve it.
There are always, however exceptions to the rule, and your clinician will make this decision based on your main skin concerns and the health of your skin’s barrier function.
Most of the peels we use in clinic are recommended in a set of three spaced three to four weeks apart. This again is conditional on an individual’s Fitzpatrick skin type. Click here.
What peels do we use?
We have 4 different peel ranges that we use in clinic, with a number of different types of peel under each range.
Civona® Dermal Pro+
Customised Organic Skin Resurfacing
To remove the first layer of the skin our superficial organic skin resurfacing treatments use fruit-sourced acids including Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) and Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA). The removal of the top layers of skin help induce collagen remodelling and therefore improve sun-damaged skin, skin pigmentation problems, wrinkles, skin texture, and the overall appearance of the skin.
Lactic Acid Resurfacing
Lactic acid resurfacing peels are made from mild, naturally occurring Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s). AHA’s exfoliate the surface of the skin removing dead skin cells, toxins and debris, while deep cleaning the pores and maintaining the ideal pH level. They stimulate natural collagen production, even out the skin tone and improve hyper-pigmentation of the skin, and will fade dark spots overtime. They can brighten and lighten the skin, and improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Salicylic Acid Resurfacing
Salicylic acid is a BHA (beta hydroxy acid) exfoliant that is effective in treating oily skin, clogged pores, blackheads and blemishes. Salicylic acid works by penetrating the follicles removing trapped oils, dead cells and reducing inflammation within the skin.
Offering a large range of peels which range in strength from superficial through to deep. The following are listed in terms of strength, from weakest to strongest. These treatments require a minimum of 14 days of skin prep using a designated prep kit.
- GA40 (Glycolic Acid 40%): Assists in the reduction of mild to moderate signs of ageing. Provides superficial exfoliation and is ideal for clients experiencing an increase in fine lines and wrinkles.
- MA (Mandelic Acid): Helps to reduce skin redness, minimise mild chono- or photo- ageing and mild hyperpigmentation. Ideal for clients experiencing redness, sensitivity or reactive skin.
- JR (Lactic Acid, Salicylic Acid, and Resorcinol): Reduces the appearance of superficial hyperpigmentation and provides a superficial exfoliation, improving skin tone and brightening skin. Designed for patients experiencing superficial hyperpigmentation from Chrono- or photo-ageing or sunspots.
- TCA-LP, TCA, and TCA strong (Trichloroacetic Acid): Helps with moderate hyperpigmentation, fine lines, small scars and coarse wrinkles. Provides medium depth exfoliation. Ideal for clients experiencing moderate to severe hyperpigmentation and more pronounced visible signs of ageing.
- Enerpeel EL for Hands, Neck, and BC: These peels are a combination of different acids. They can be used to help decrease hyperpigmentation and appearance of wrinkles and signs of ageing on eyes and lips, hands and neck as well as oily, blemish prone skin on the back and chest.
Dermaceutic Laboratory Professional:
Clients are required to prep on a pre-treatment kit for 10-14 days prior to treatment.
- Dermaceutic Milk Peel: A Milk Peel treatment is suitable for all skin types and phototypes. It is a safe and easy, with no downtime and little to no shedding. It is ideal for clients looking improve fine lines and wrinkles, restore a radiant complexion, even out skin tone and regulate oily skin and enlarged pores. 2-3 treatments recommended for optimum results.
- Dermaceutic Mela Peel: Ideal for the treatment of pigment spots, epidermal melasma and post-inflammatory pigmentation. Promotes a homogeneous complexion and improves skin radiance.
Suggested add on to Treatments:
Dermaviduals Enzyme Peeling Mask
Cleansing enzyme peel – Applying the enzyme peeling loosens and removes the dead skin cells (keratinozytes). The result are smaller pores, a very even skin appearance and an increased receptivity of the skin for the subsequently applied active agents. In addition to that it has a preventive effect against comedones, milia and pustules. Along with the influence of heat and humidity the enzymes penetrate between comedo plug and follicular wall and loosen or even partially dissolve the sebaceous and cornoid mixture. Enzyme peeling is recommended for the facial skin as well as other body parts as for example the chapped backs of the hand and areas of bad skin on the back.
A gentle physical and acidic exfoliant mask designed for incorporation into professional RATIONALE treatments. This natural colloid-organic acid complex has a strong affinity for loose corneocytes and other undesquamated epidermal material, gently whisking away cellular debris either by way of infusion or through a mechanical ‘Gommage’ action of buffing the skin’s surface impurities away to reveal a healthy, luminous glow. Vitamin E, Ceramides, Aloe Vera and Rose Water work synergistically to hydrate and soothe the skin throughout.
The French term ‘Gommage’ means ‘to erase’. In this context Gommage refers to the physical buffing action used to accelerate the desquamation of dead skin cells, dirt and debris from the surface of the skin. RATIONALE Gommagecombines the mechanical exfoliating action of Gommage buffing with the enzyme reactivating properties of Alpha Hydroxy Acid; Lactic Acid, aiding in not only in the gentle reacidification of skin pH, but also the encouragement of healthy skin cell desquamation processes. Gommage combines both physical and chemical exfoliation, using enzymes which are proteolytic, meaning protein dissolving; designed to digest corneocytes sitting on the skin’s surface. This skin identical formula contains a Ceramide Complex presenting a high affinity for organic debris, resulting in effective cleansing once emulsified and removed from the skin.
One of the best anti-ageing skin care treatments available. This safe and painless treatment accelerates the exfoliation of dead skin cells which in turn stimulates new cell growth and the renewal of collagen. Using a gentle vacuuming system and diamond tips, microdermabrasion removes dull, dead skin cells, unclogs pores and polishes the skin. It is a non-invasive treatment that can be used to treat a number of skin concerns, on any part of the body, with no downtime. Microdermabrasion perfectly prepares the skin’s surface for the enhanced infusion of active ingredients applied during a sonophoresis treatment.
Sonophoresis with custom vitamin infusion
A relaxing, non-invasive treatment that uses ultrasonic (soundwave) technology that has been shown to increase the penetration and absorption of active ingredients by up to 800%. This warm, massaging treatment increases skin circulation and toning leaving the skin feeling smooth, firm and hydrated. It is suitable for all skin types and delivers excellent results.
Microdermabrasion perfectly prepares the skin’s surface for the enhanced infusion of treatment products applied during sonophoresis.
Together, they are an effective treatment for:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Acne, blackheads and congestion
- Minor scar revision
- Rejuvenation of dull, tired skin
- Open pores
- Age revealing hands and feet
Painless and non-invasive, hydrodermabrasion is different from microdermabrasion mainly because it does not use any crystals. The handheld tool contains a saline solution and oxygen, which helps to improve skin texture, reduce wrinkles, add hydration to the skin, boost blood flow and minimize pores. Think of it as an invigorating exfoliating scrub that will clear your skin.